Okay, let's talk about it. And, by "it", we of course mean "sex".
For some, sex is a taboo subject. Talking about it openly can be...um, well awkward. Here’s the thing though, sex is a normal healthy part of life and it’s how we all got on this earth. It's also an important component to healthy living.
What is Sexual Wellness?
The World Health Organization defines sexual wellness as a state of physical, emotional, mental, and social well-being in relation to sexuality. Sexual wellness requires:
- A respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships
- The possibility of having pleasurable and safe sex experiences
- The ability to have sex that is free of coercion, discrimination, and violence
Can we get an Amen?
Sex that’s enjoyable, comfortable, and healthy is the best way to go...period.
Sex Health Benefits
When you hit the sheets to rendezvous with your partner (or self), you open the door to a wide array of health benefits.
Yes! Healthy sex has some incredible benefits. Studies show that sex activates neurotransmitters that benefit our brains and other parts of our bodies. Hormones like oxycontin (the love hormone) and dopamine (the happy hormone) are released when having sex. That’s why it feels so great to get it on!!
So what are some of the health benefits of sex?
- Sex Reduces Stress and Anxiety: When you have sex, a group of hormones called endorphins is released. These are known as the hormones that tell your brain to feel good. When hormones like these and dopamine are released, your body relaxes, reducing your stress levels. It’s like a little natural spa day...without the cucumbers.
- Sex Boosts Your Immune System: Sex can boost your immunoglobulin (IgA) levels. These are antibodies that help fight viruses, keeping your gorgeous body healthy. A Wilkes University study showed students who had sex once or twice a week had 30% more IgA than those who had sex less frequently. That's a lot of jargon to basically say: More sex = more antibodies and we like the sound of that; especially these days.
- Sex Helps You Sleep: Hormones like dopamine, prolactin, progesterone, and oxycontin released during sex are linked to relaxation. This study from the University of Ottowa found sex before sleep helped insomniacs to get more of that much-needed beauty rest.
Ladies, paying attention to sexual wellness is just as important for our physical health as it is for our mental health.
- Social and Emotional Well-being: Having a healthy sexual relationship can boost your self-esteem, boost intimacy with your partner, stimulate your brain, boost your energy levels, and improve your mood. When you have sex with a supportive partner (get rid of the jerks), you are more inclined to feel good during the day...hello sexual glow. This can have a positive impact on your mental health, therefore, benefitting your tasks during the day. You are happier, more motivated, more relaxed so you can enjoy more of this one wild and precious life.
- Sexual and Body Positivity: A healthy sexual relationship can help combat a negative body image or body dysmorphia. Why? When you engage in regular sex with your partner you become more comfortable with the skin you are in. It’s beautiful and amazing.
Prioritizing sexual wellness can not only improve your sex life but make sure your body is getting what it needs to flourish and thrive. As women, it’s important to prioritize sexual wellness, because when we prioritize our wellness, we are prioritizing ourselves.
Shop our curated a collection of adult toys and sexual wellness products to make an investment in your wellbeing today.